A real experience – a friend of mine was trying to make his trampoline more secure and instantly ordered a net online. He didn’t know how to measure a trampoline properly and didn’t even care.
The net arrived and the size didn’t match up with the trampoline shape and size. Something more pathetic is there was no returning option. 🙁
So, you never want it to happen to you. For that, you should learn the proper way of measuring a trampoline. There are different sizes of trampolines with different shapes.
Whether it’s a mini-trampoline or a 16 feet trampoline, isn’t a matter. The matter is the shape. So for different shapes, there are different methods and in this article, I am going to make you familiar with all the methods.
How to Measure a Trampoline?
In this segment, you are going to learn how to measure trampoline size. For that, you need some tools. Let’s see what do need to measure a trampoline.
Now time for the main steps.
1. How to Measure Trampoline Mat & Frame
There are different methods available to measure a trampoline. But all methods are not applicable to all sizes of trampolines. Trampolines of different shapes have different methods of measurement. Here I am going to explain them all.
For a round trampoline, there are 4 different measurements you need to determine.
- You need to measure the diameter of the trampoline frame. Measure the trampoline straight across from one side to another.
- Measure the diameter of the fabric of the mat without including the V-rings of the spring.
- Count the number of the springs.
- Measure the overall length of the springs.
Measuring an oval trampoline isn’t that simple as a round trampoline. It has more steps to follow to measure accurately.
- Measure the longest width of the longest and shortest side. It is the easiest way to measure the frame.
- Follow the same process to measure the mat of the trampoline.
- Count the spring numbers.
- Measure the overall length of the springs.
Measuring any trampoline without an oval or round is more complicated. Don’t be afraid, I am here to help you. Here are the steps –
- First of all, you have to measure the frame, and to do so measure the corner to corner diagonally. Do the same for the other corners.
- Measuring the mat isn’t a big deal. Just like you measure the frame you can measure the mat. I recommend measuring from a flat side.
- Like the past steps measure the spring lengths and count the springs.
2. How to Measure a Trampoline Spring?
In the past segment, I have mentioned measuring the length of the springs. Do you know how to measure the trampoline springs? Well, I want you to explore more just for a simple step. Here is a guideline to measure the trampoline springs.
First, measure the length of the springs. Make sure to take off then. Now count them and determine how many of them you do need or not.
3. How to Measure a Trampoline Pad?
Another crucial part is measuring the trampoline pads. Different shapes of the trampoline have different shapes of cover. So you have understood that there are different methods like I have described before. Let’s get to know them all.
Round Trampoline: Measuring the pads of a round trampoline is the simplest. You already know how to measure the diameter of the frame. You just need that measurement.
Rectangular Trampoline: You won’t have to face any difficulties while measuring a rectangular trampoline. It is as simple as the round trampoline just the method is slightly different.
To measure, first measure the width of the frame from outside or outside. In the same way, measure the length of the frame from outside to outside.
Finally, measure the space from the edge of the bed to the edge of the frame. Don’t measure from the corner.
Oval Trampoline: Do you remember how to measure the oval mat? Get a highlight – measure the longest length from the shortest side and then measure the longest length from the longest side. Following the same process for measuring the pad.
Other Shapes: Measuring other shapes can be a bit difficult for you. However, there is some simple method. Here I am going to explain them.
Measure the width of the frame outside the one side and take the same measurements for the opposite side.
Take the length from one corner to another.
Now the last and the most crucial step. Now measure another one of the sides. If the other side is of the shape then you don’t need to measure anymore.
But if they are of different lengths and repeat the process for each different side of different length.
How to Measure for a Trampoline Net?
Though some trampoline doesn’t come with any net, the net is an important and one of the most secured parts of a trampoline. So, while measuring a complete trampoline you must have to learn the proper process of measuring a trampoline enclosure.
For replacing a net, for setting up a net, or for repairing a net you need to know the measurement of a net. Now, I am going to add a measurement guide for you.
- First of all, you need to identify the pole types whether they are straight, arched, or curved.
- Get a measurement tape and measure the poles.
- This part is a bit complicated. Consider the trampoline frame as a round clock and take diameters between 6 and 12, and 3 and 9.
- Now calculate the average of the last 2 measurements and the result is the size of your net.
Why Accurate Trampoline Measure is Essential?
Some of you may think measuring one-half inch less or much won’t create any extra hassle. But you are wrong. Just a wrong measurement of half an inch can lead you to huge difficulties. Here I am shorting some reasons why accurate measurements are essential.
- When you are replacing any part you may have to measure the whole trampoline. The wrong measurement can lead you to get the wrong size parts.
- When your friends like and ask for the measurement you can’t answer the accurate size.
- If there is no enclosure and you want to put a net on a trampoline then you will need the whole measurement.
It’s not that hard like you thought before today. I have explained how to measure a trampoline with some quick and easy steps and following my steps you can measure a trampoline quickly without facing any trouble.
If you are not an expert or a teen then I suggest asking any of your friends or siblings to help you while measuring. If you are alone use a clip or solid element to keep the one side of the tape placed in a certain place.